Sunday, September 19, 2010

Home Portrait - CtyRd 23

How to begin?
Here is one of the many reference photos - I guess the one that most captures the experiance of the property.
So, given the restraints of cost: printing myself to canvas, framing with a generic "fine art" 11"x14" frame, I am bound to compost for that final 'product'. Tricky to create as the property is large with many foundation plants but no flowers to brighten up the painting. By comparison, the house is small - the gingerbread mouldings and old brick are what gives the charm.  Sooooo . . .





This is the basic layout. I added peonies (carefree in this climate) to the front border as well as opening up an inviting pathway. I framed the composition with suggestions of landscaping from the rest of the yard while making the house large enough to  paint the details of moulding and brickwork.  I wanted to retain the dynamic diagonal of the road edge and added chicory - little pieces of sky that are ubiquitous because it increases the drama of this otherwise humble abode.

I could keep refining this stage for weeks but my deadline is framed in 6 days from now and working 3 jobs renders that a luxury not possible now.

No comments:

Post a Comment